Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Sagrada Familia

Our private tour of the Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Família given by El arquitecto jefe del templo, Jordi Bonet, was one of the highlights of the trip thus far. We were able to climb the scaffolding to the roof to witness the construction of the hyperbolic dome being constructed above the transcept. Check out this info on the hyperboloid. It deals with some pretty complex stuff!


Dr. Bonet was able to explain parts of the construction processes being employed in the Sagrada Familia . It was interesting to see how current materials and technology are being used to complete Gaudi's masterpiece. For example, they have begun to use reinforced concrete in some areas rather than stone which was intended by the original design.
This can be seen in the column pictured below.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very interesting article. I have been to Barcelona just one week ago. Finding a nice centrally located accommodation in Barcelona hotels is no easier than any other great city, and so I am very fortunate that my wife's cousin Luisa has one with a view across to Sagrada Familia by way of her laundry porch. She is very old now, and we haven't visited her since 1998, so I keep telling my wife, it's time to return to Barcelona. This is one of my favorite cities to just wander around. It's generally very safe and clean, and the architecture of Gaudi among many other great Catalan architects, is wonderful to look at. I really enjoyed my trip to Spain.